In order to fight back against cancer, the sisters are helping to lead Making Strides Against Breast Cancer in Southern Maryland, an American Cancer Society organized walk on October 7, 2012. “It gives us a lot of satisfaction to raise money for research and possibly see more advances against cancer in our lifetimes,” says Terri. “Maybe they will even discover how to reverse the effects of the BRCA gene and give hope to future generations.”
The community of Leonardtown turns Pink with pink decorations and a variety of pink retail promotions, festive dinner menus, themed services, special guests and other attractions throughout Leonardtown on October 5th:
In the town Square:
- Health Connections from Med Star St. Mary's Hospital will share important information about breast cancer awareness, women's health and the importance of scheduling annual mammograms. The Sisters with Bracatude will be on hand to talk to visitors about their journey and about the local support Med Star St. Mary's Hospital receives from from events like Making Strides and the American Cancer Society. Visitors will have the opportunity to support the Sisters with a cash donation.
- Live music with The Piney Point Playboys featuring Annie Jean (Breaux) DiDonato on accordion; Brenda Elwood on fiddle; Billy Longley on rhythm guitar; and Bernice Moore on string bass. Lively Cajun Music (photo attached) Bring a chair or blanket.
- Childrens crafts and activities provided by St. Mary's Macaroni Kid and Bella Music School. FREE!
- A meet and greet at Good Earth Natural Foods with Forever Eden Founders and Sisters Wanda and Wynne Brisco. Wanda, a breast cancer survivor and the inspiration for Forever Eden will discuss her journey to wellness and will have advance copies of her new book. Wynne, the handcrafter of the Forever Eden products will have samples and discuss the importance of healthy skincare. The sisters' goal throughout the year is to work together in the education and prevention of Cancer by promoting health and wellness.
- S-Kape Salon hosts a night of pink pampering to include pink refreshments and complimentary nail polish changes. For a donation to the Sisters with Bracatude at the Salon, guests can enjoy make-up applications, hair styling, seated chair massage and Pink single hair applications.
- The Port of Leonardtown Winery will donate $2 for every bottle of any Rose' sold on PINK Friday and during the month of October to support the Sisters. Guests of PINK Friday will enjoy live music with Fractal Folk, SOMD's premier jazz-folk-fusion band, the photographic art of Dean Souleles and tastings of their award winning wines.
- The Olde Towne Stichery Shop invites guests to stop by and create a pink flower pin to wear that night and throughout Breast Cancer Awareness month. Pink fabrics or those that contain pink, not already reduced, will be on sale that night for 20% off. Guests will enjoy pink refreshments and can make a donation to support the Sisters With Bracatude.
- Cafe des Artistes offers a 20% discount on all "pink wines" by the bottle including Slack Winery Lush Blush and Lous Laurent Rose D'anjou. A delicious Pink themed Salmon main course is featured on the menu, and David Kalil performs on Piano.
- The Front Porch offers a $2 discount of all house specialty drinks and martinis and features a Pink Flirtini.
- Both the Brewing Grounds and Quality Street Kitchens plan to donate a portion of their PINK Friday proceeds to Cancer Awareness causes.
For more information about First Friday, Pink Friday and the LBA visithttp://www.leonardtownfirstfridays.com.
Learn more about the American Cancer Society and the Making Strides against Breast Cancer walk athttp://www.makingstrideswalk.org/somd.